Helicobacter Pylori, Urea Breath Test (PW)
The urea breath test is used to detect Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), a type of bacteria that may infect the stomach and is a main cause of ulcers in both the stomach and duodenum (the first part of the small intestine).
- Pre and Post-urea breath samples in special collection bags
- Overnight fasting required if test to be carried out in the morning.
- Four hours fast for test to be carried if later in the day but with very light breakfast and no lunch.
Medication to avoid:
- UBT must not be performed within 28 days of completing treatment.
- PPI, antibiotics and bismuth or any drugs used in monotheraphy known to suppress urease activity of HP could give false negative results - at least 14 days must lapsed before UBT.
- H2 antagonists should be avoided on the day of test.
- Antacids, other medications with acid neutralizing effect should be avoided on the day of test.
Sample for testing: Breath
*Please take note that this test is only available at Parkway Laboratories.